Sunday 2 September 2018

Review: Death's Gambit

It's been a hell of a year for fans of indie games inspired by the all-time great Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and its ilk. I feel like I've been on a prolonged 2D action game bender.

While some of these titles are much more directly influenced than others, we've had Chasm, Dead Cells, and Guacamelee 2 back to back to back. None of those need an introduction, but one other game in the mix, Death's Gambit, may warrant a refresher. It seems a little less visible than its peers.

I could quickly sum it up as "Castlevania Souls," and that would get me most of the way there. Death's Gambit puts a slight wrinkle on the well-established dark fantasy action-RPG formula. While it isn't the technical or design marvel I was hoping for, it has some clever ideas and a ton of heart.

Review: Death's Gambit screenshot

Read more...

from destructoid https://ift.tt/2Pg65GP

No comments:

Post a Comment