Sunday 29 July 2018

Review: Tempest 4000

It is a rare thing that I would ever purchase a console for one game, and it’s usually for some pretty strange titles. Back when Katamari Damacy came out on the PlayStation 2, I bought the game before I even owned the system fearing it would be a rare and obscure gem. A month later I bought a PS2 and never looked back, and although I did own a ton of other games after, I never got rid of Katamari until the day it got lost in a move. (I still miss it.)

The second time was when I bought a PlayStation Vita just to play TxK. My love for the Tempest series didn’t begin until I was running a small eBay business selling old games and got my hands on an Atari Jaguar. Immediately I realised the brilliance of Tempest 2000, from the frenetic arcade gameplay, to the soundtrack and the ultra trippy and bizarre graphics. I sold the thing off eventually, and all the rest of the games on the system were crap, but Tempest 2000 was magical. So when I got TxK, I played it for months on end and still do, feeling it was an even better experience overall than 2000, although the Vita was not the ideal way to experience and I was pining for a proper console/PC port.

Drama between Atari and the two-man development team Llamasoft (responsible for Tempest 2000, 3000, and TxK) meant this would never happen – at least not with the original name. A legal misunderstanding ensured that Jeff Minter and Ivan Zorzin (Giles) of Llamasoft would be prevented from porting their lovechild TxK to any other platform, as it was "too much like the IP Tempest," a game that Minter himself had essentially revitalised and created from the ground up. Without getting into the legal nonsense and pointing fingers, this story had a happy ending when Atari and Llamasoft were able to work out their issues, and agree to finally port TxK to other consoles under the name Tempest 4000.

Review: Tempest 4000 screenshot

Read more...

from destructoid https://ift.tt/2A9gW2n

No comments:

Post a Comment