Sunday 29 July 2018

I'm both cool with and tired of online-exclusive unlocks

Last week, Gravity Rush 2’s online servers came to a postponed yet premature end. While its asynchronous game modes were far from its main focus, they were meaningful enough for their early closure to spark a very vocal backlash. The rewards exclusive to online play only fanned those sparks hotter. Unfortunately, despite the voices of Gravity Rush fans all over the world, the future refused to change again.

I wrote my guide for Dusty Token grinding (which is now useless) partially out of a desperate hope. Perhaps, I thought, publishing such a resource just might give GR2 the tiny push it needed to keep those features alive a bit longer. I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this practice, as I implied in the conclusion to that piece. (Come to think of it, I have a love-hate relationship with a lot of controversial practices in game design.) Now that we’ve had the time to accept the gravity of this loss, I’d like to elaborate on what I meant. After all, Gravity Rush 2 is far from the only game that’s caused a large backlash by losing online exclusive components.

I'm both cool with and tired of online-exclusive unlocks screenshot

Read more...

from destructoid https://ift.tt/2AlKoSY

No comments:

Post a Comment