Wednesday 27 June 2018

Emulating the language of motherhood in NieR: Automata

Motherhood fascinates me. I’m an only child raised by a single mom. Her constant support, alongside my grandmother and aunts, created a web of matriarchal love throughout my childhood (this totally includes embracing my video game habit). I had exposure to masculinity through my grandfather and uncle, but I was predominantly sculpted by strong female hands. Growing up with such an intricate network of motherly influences has shown me countless perspectives of motherhood; still, it’s impossible for me to fathom without creating a life of my own.

I cannot comprehend the depths of a mother’s attachment to her creation -- I can only conceive the idea of motherhood, not the reality of it. Such divine development deserves appreciation. I will never know how it feels to grow a human being inside myself, but I admire those who do. That is a bond I will never know. In this regard, I am no different than the machines in NieR: Automata.

Mother Machine's attempt to confront the depths of humanity through the lens of an overshadowed mother is commendable. Grandiose stories about time, identity, and purpose permeate throughout Automata. They demand most of your attention, and while the complicated reveals are worth the time it takes to mentally process them, there's much to learn from the recognition of Mother Machine's obscure plight.

Emulating the language of motherhood in NieR: Automata screenshot

Read more...

from destructoid https://ift.tt/2Ka4DY5

No comments:

Post a Comment