Monday 27 April 2020

Review: Gears Tactics

Sometime in the third act of Gears Tactics, as I was studying the battlefield to find optimal points of cover to send my COGs scurrying behind, the parallels hit me like a ton of bricks: All those Gears games I had been playing since the Xbox 360 were a lot more like strategic tactics games than I had ever pieced together. It took Gears Tactics' fixed overhead angle to really drive the idea home. Looking down on all those chest-high walls, I realized how much of Gears is about finding prime positioning and waiting for the right moment to attack.

Gears and the tactics genre may not seem like a natural fit, but it really doesn't take long to understand how they complement one another. Gears Tactics is a leveraging of that relationship, an effort that amplifies what each half individually brings to the table. I want to say the whole is greater than the sum of its parts but that might be overthinking it. Let's just say everything explodes smarter.

Review: Gears Tactics screenshot

Read more...

from Destructoid https://ift.tt/2SdKYIT

No comments:

Post a Comment